Safer Communities Campaign - Advice from Gardai
An Garda Síochána are running a "Supporting Safer Communities Campaign" from tomorrow September 19th until Monday 25th.
As we approach the Winter months, and the evenings grow darker, it's essential that we all follow the 'lock up and light up' procedure in order to lower the risk of your home being broken into, or property being stolen.
An Garda Síochána, are also encouraging people to mark their property to discourage theft and aid in the recovery of property should it get stolen. If you have a bike, please also consider marking this in anyways possible as there has been a huge amount of bike thefts over the last year.
For more information see the Winter Burlgalry Prevention document here from www.garda.ie.
In the last 12 months (June 2016 – July 2017):
- Over €7 million worth of jewellery was stolen in burglaries
- Over €3.6 million worth of rings and watches were stolen
- Over €3.5 million in cash was stolen in burglaries
- Do not leave large amounts of cash at home
- Over €1 million worth of electronics were stolen in burglaries
- This largely consists of mobile phones and laptops/tablets
- Almost €1 million worth of tools were stolen in burglaries
- More expensive industrial/power tools tend to be targeted in winter
Residential Burglary Recording Property Details In the last 12 months (July 2016 – June 2017):
- 4% of tools had a serial number or engraving recorded
- 11% of laptops/tablets had a serial number or engraving recorded
- 51% of mobile phones had a serial or IMEI number recorded
- 8% of bicycles stolen had a serial or frame number recorded
- Keep the details of your property in a property register
- Download a property register template from www.garda.ie
- Keep this register safe along with photos of your jewellery