Return for Change Clontarf - This Weekend!
We have an exciting pilot 'deposit and return' project in Clontarf this weekend, the 18th and 19th of September. All you need to do is save your aluminium drinks cans and plastic drinks bottles between now and then and bring them along to one of the designated drop off points.
It is estimated that in Ireland alone we generate about 3 billion single-use plastic bottles and over 582 million aluminium cans each year. Unfortunately, only 60-70% of them are ever collected for recycling while the remaining circa 30% end up disposed of in landfills/incinerators or littered in our natural environment (VOICE, the Voice of Irish Concern for the Environment [TAG @VOICEIRELAND @RETURNFORCHANGE).
A national deposit return scheme is due to be introduced late next year, it will:
- improve recycling rates and reduce waste
- reduce litter
- keep these resources in the #circulareconomy
So bring along your empty drinks cans and plastic bottles to support local organisations, and learn about deposit return!