Return for Change A Success!

23 Sep 2021

There was lots of interest in the deposit return system and how it's going to work last weekend. Thousands of cans and bottles were collected across Saturday & Sunday at the Red Stables and Clontarf GAA Club.

Sponsors, Olive's Room and Nolan's raised funds for Clontarf Tidy Towns and Clontarf GAA, and Canada Life Reinsurance sponsoring a public defibrillator at Scoil Ui Chonaill GAA.

Angela Ruttledge, of Olive’s Room says, “I was shocked to learn that in Ireland alone we generate about 3 billion single-use plastic bottles and over 582 million aluminium cans each year, and that only 60-70% of them are ever collected for recycling while the remaining circa 30% end up disposed in landfills/incinerators or littered in our natural environment [source: VOICE]. So we are delighted to be able to support VOICE’s pilot Deposit Return Scheme, and Clontarf Tidy Towns, who are doing such great work at the moment to keep the area clean, the Deposit Return Scheme will be a much-needed carrot to the litter picking stick.”

You can find out more information about the Deposit Return Scheme on the ‘Return for Change’ website here or on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and on