O' Hara's Spars Introduce New Safety Measures
LoveClontarf.ie reached out to some of our patrons and sponsors who at this time, are able to remain open during the Covid-19 outbreak.
Below is a response from Gus O'Hara who operates O'Hara's Spar Vernon Avenue and O'Hara's Spar Stiles Road. Both shops have adopted extra precautions to enable them to remain open and serve the community.
“In response to your query as to how our O’Hara’s SPAR stores in Clontarf are managing, and what we have seen as ‘different way of working and indeed living’ in the past week.
During this unprecedented time, we are very conscious that the Health and Wellness of our loyal customers and our staff are of paramount importance.
- At our SPAR stores, we are following the advice and guidelines set out by the HSE and the Government and are continuously sanitising and cleaning throughout the store with every 15 minute cleansing of the ‘touchpoints in the store’ – the ATM, Coffee Machine, all the countertops, our shopping baskets, all surfaces are sanitised on a continuous basis during the day.
- We immediately implemented ‘social distancing’ in the shops with clearly-marked white lines (boxes) on the shop floor that are visible to customers and we are requesting that customers only occupy a box as another customer leaves it. This is set at the recommended 2 metres set out by the HSE best practice guidelines.
- We have also installed clear Perspex protective guards at the till points to protect both our hard-working staff and our loyal customers.
We are adapting as quickly as we can to what we observe as new items to stock to meet everyone’s needs. For example;
- Many in Clontarf are now working from home and our shop on Vernon Avenue has increased our Office Supply section – photocopy paper, Ink cartridges, folders etc.
- We have expanded on the range of books and reintroduced some old classics as well as the best sellers.
- With everyone at home, we are conscious that children need to be kept occupied and engaged and we have also introduced a bigger range of children’s books and activity games as well as jigsaw puzzles, playing cards and early learning sets.
Thankfully, our supply chain through SPAR is very strong so all your usual grocery and fresh food needs are still in plentiful supply so there is no requirement to panic buy.
All of this is possible through the continued support of our local customers and the dedication of our fantastic managers and staff who are working so hard to keep ‘the show on the road’.
To ease the burden on our staff we will, from Monday 23rd March, be open from 8 am until 9 pm and hopefully, we can continue with those hours for now at least.
This is a difficult time for everyone and we are conscious of the role we play in supporting our community by doing all we can to meet their needs.”