Deposit Return Scheme
A message from Clontarf Residents’ Association
The Deposit Return Scheme (DRS) goes live today, the 1 st of February 2024. The aim of the scheme is to increase the rate of recycling of PET plastic bottles and aluminium and steel cans by ensuring that they are returned separately from other recyclables thereby avoiding cross contamination.
How does it work?
- Customers will be charged a deposit on drinks bottles or cans that carry the Re-turn logo.
- The empty undamaged bottle or can can be returned to any participating shop or supermarket
and the deposit will be refunded.
- Returns will be via a Reverse Vending Machine (RVM) or over the counter, if there is no RVM.
- There are RVMS at Nolan’s Supermarket, Vernon Ave and at O’Hara’s Spar, The Stiles Rd.
- Refunds will be made via a voucher that can be redeemed at the shop or supermarket.
- Card refunds are not possible.
- Refunds are only available on bottles and cans on which a deposit has been paid i.e. ones that carry the Re-turn logo.
- Bottles and cans that do not have the return logo will be phased out over the next while.
- During thechangeover period bottles and cans that do not carry the Re-turn logo should be sent for recycling in the normal way.
- All bottles and cans will carry the DRS logo by the 1st of June 2024.
What’s not included?
- Glass bottles, dairy drink containers, cans for foodstuffs and containers for cleaning supplies are not part of this scheme and should continue to be recycled in the normal way.
To find out more go to Re-turn.ie.