Clontarf Historical Society Talk by Frank Walsh
The talk looks at the land on which St Lawrence Rd is built and its connections to the Earls of Howth. It traces the history of the road from the commencement of building works in 1872 to its completion in the early 20th century, and in particular, the construction of terraces on the road (which preceded the current numbering system) with names such as’ The Mall’, ‘Hope’, ‘Aloysius’, ‘Laird’, ‘Victoria’, ‘Zetland’ and others. The presentation also looks the history of two particular houses, and finally it examines the Thoms Directory records and what they reveal about Victorian life on the road. Frank Walsh is a successful business consultant who lives on St. Lawrence Road. His strong interest in local history prompted him to research the history of the road. Annual membership €20, individual talks €4, and new members always welcome. For all enquiries please call (01) 833 8711 or visit their website at www.clontarfhistorical.com.