A Brief History
In many ways, the history of Clontarf is a microcosm of the nation’s history in that it deals with the same general headings: Early Celtic period leading to the advent of Christianity and beyond.
Clontarf Castle is central to the narrative of Clontarf in that for centuries the political, cultural and socio-economic life of the entire area revolved around the castle.
Origin Of Name
Much debate has raged in recent years within Clontarf on the precise derivation and meaning of the name, Clontarf.
St Anne's Park
St. Anne’s Park, which currently rates as one of Dublin’s most popular recreational facilities, is an integral part of the social, economic and cultural life of Clontarf
Bull Island is one of Dublin’s most treasured tourist attractions that incorporate two golf courses, Dollymount Beach and the North Bull Island Nature Reserve.
The Old Inns of Clontarf
Over the centuries the licensed trade has proven to be the one outstanding storehouse of social, political and economic history throughout Ireland
Battle of Clontarf
The events that took place at the Battle of Clontarf on Good Friday, April 23rd, 1014 were the culmination of two centuries of strife, treachery, failed alliances and treaties
A nostalgic part of Clontarf – no longer visible – is Clontarf Island. It stood approximately 150 metres off the most easterly point of East Wall but closer to the shoreline of Clontarf.
Down through the ages, we know that Clontarf was famous both for the variety and quantities of fish that were caught along the shoreline and in the bay
The Sheds Fishing Village
Clontarf has for centuries enjoyed a reputation of excellence for the quality of its seafood and people flocked to the seaside town to savour fresh oysters from local taverns
Transport in the 19th Century
On May 25th 1844, the residents of Clontarf witnessed a previously unseen occurrence when a railway train puffed its way into their local Clontarf Station
The Clontarf promenade, which has given so much pleasure to the residents of Clontarf, was not landscaped until the 1950s although most of this area was actually reclaimed from the sea in the 1920s.